Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Fibre, fibre, fibre

Well this is what I have been doing today. I have all this fibre to test.

As part of a resilience project we are currently undertaking (which should be finished next month) I have been testing the quality of the links between buildings and departments and checking for damages (repairing where possible).

The project in question is designed to provide backups to the routes between buildings in the event of failure (power or otherwise). Reducing the downtime our users experience.

I meant to get a picture of the miles of cable we have been providing contractors to cable around the city (hopefully one will be coming soon). We make sure the contractors buy the fibre cable from us so we know it is of good quality as there has been instances of poor quality fibre installations in the past.

For testing I have been using the Noyes OPM5 (below) and a OLS4 at the other end providing the light source. We have just recently been provided with these which I am pleased about as previously we had different testers for single-mode and multi-mode. The OPM5 will measure both. On most trays we have 12 single-mode and 12 multi-mode connections.


1 comment:

tektalk said...

All that cabling would make my head hurt !!