Sunday, 14 November 2010

Android 2.2

My new phone has arrived. I have been waiting for the HTC Desire Z to be available in the UK for a while now and here it is:



It is called the G2 in other parts of the world including the US but we already had a G2 over here which looked more like a Legend or a Hero.

I was looking forward to this phone for a number of reasons. Firstly because it has a slide-out keyboard, which I love. After using smart-phones in the past with them I now can't do without them (for blogging, emails etc). I was hoping I would not have to resort to getting a Motorola Milestone, which just seemed to be only okay to me.

Secondly it has Android 2.2 (froyo). So that means Adobe Flash 10.1 for all those flash websites and games. Having 2.2 also means it is super fast and it supports USB tethering and acts as a portbale hotspot. I also have a lot more room for installing apps and can move the apps to the SD card to free up even more space. The camera and 3G is better than what I had in my previous handset and the battery, memory and processor are a vast improvement.

As it has the new HTC Sense interface it also supports being backed up, locking, ringing and sending messages to from the internet in case you lose it. You can also turn on the GPS and find it on a map.

From a work point of view, we have an app that runs on android 2.0 and above (my previous phone had 1.6) that we are currently testing. This provides campus information, maps, updates, twitter feeds and so on which I am now involved in testing.

I also wanted to upgrade so I can create some apps myself for my job. We have a number of hours 'personal development' time to use to learn something new or go on some training courses. I am planning on creating some apps to control my desk phone (sending calls to my mobile and making internal calls using the desk phone) and logging in and out of the helpdesk remotely.

The plan is so that I can be in America and my boss can be in Australia, for example, and we call each other on android phones, both using our desk phones. So he doesn't see my personal number, I don't see his, and the call is using the work phones for billing, etc. We can then forward calls to the office, conference in someone from the office and access our voicemail.

I am downloading the SDK and java tools. I'll keep posting my progress.

1 comment:

edutechnician said...

I want one I want one I want one I want one !!!!