Thursday, 12 April 2012

The Gadget Show Live

This week I went to The Gadget Show Live at the NEC. As I got in the doors I was pleased to be confronted with just the sort of stalls I wanted to see most, namely Samsung, Sony and LG. Unfortunately though there was no HTC guys there as I was looking forward to trying the HTC One-X.

As all the kids headed towards the game zone to play Star Wars Kinect and Battlefield 3, I got to talk to they guys at Samsung about the Galaxy SIII (as my HTC is constantly playing up) and my other half got to try out the Samsung Galaxy Note. I would love to have seen her use it as a phone as she is tiny :)

Then we headed to LG where I was super impressed by their 3D screens and even more so by the Dual-Play screens. Where two players can play against each other on the same TV, full-screen, providing you are wearing the dual-play glasses (3D glasses with either only left lenses or only right lenses).

The even had an F1 car to add to the realism:



There was a lot of 3D tech on display this year but for me not all of it was good. After the Mrs had loved the 3D sport and nature programs at LG, saying it was the first time she had really seen the merits of 3D, the powered 3D glasses at Sony gave us both headache and were as uncomfortable as I find it when I have been to a 3D movie at the cinema. Certainly not something I would like to do every day at home.

The live show in the 'Super theatre' was pretty good. All the presenters were there and, despite the early hour, all were on top form engaging with the audience. To start with though we were wondering whether kids should have been allowed in as it started like a show at a strip club and the thrusting dance moves competition a little later on didn't help.



Jason Bradbury seems to be a crowd favourite, and with his charm and infectious enthusiasm you can see why.



The show involved audience competitions, a giant crowd Wii-like long jump game (which our team won), remote controlled helicopters, robots and more. After the show we went around the rest of the NEC checking out what was on offer. The only drawback was the prices they don't tell you about until you are there (£8 for parking, £17 for two, rather disappointing cups of jacket potatoes and watery coffee). At least I managed to get an inflatable Android robot from Kenwood (which my son loves):

No comments: