This weekend I spent troubleshooting and setting up the wireless access points in our new building.
Someone took a picture of me working hard (yes I know the cabinet is a mess, it is temporary)
We are moving offices this week and next and, despite this move being our own department, everything was still being done last minute. The switches have not yet arrived even though the staff have, hence the mess in the cab above. When they do arrive and we have put them in it should look more like this: cbites.blogspot.co.uk/first-install-of-new-switches.
I spent the weekend getting the wireless working, which had to be done for Monday morning.
We have deployed 15 x 1142 Cisco access points giving blanket coverage to all areas and, hopefully, the rear exterior of the building where people will be spending break times and having events in the summer months.
One of the major considerations was to be able to have enough access points for the number of users. We have over 150 staff and being an IT department it is expected that they will have a number of devices. Hopefully the wireless network will hold up to these demands and those of the near future.
A hiccup occurred yesterday where a number of access points did not come up. After various tests on the switch port, the access points, the sockets and the cabling, it seems we have a large number of faulty patch leads that provide no or intermittent connectivity. From the cable tests it appears like we have thousands that will have to go back. Highlighting the importance of not scrimping on quality when it comes to cables.
We also had a problem with a faulty connection into the patch panel. We could not find the problem but chopping it back and replacing it finally brought the connection up. What was meant to be a job for a few hours ended up taking a lot of the weekend. Especially having to get ladders to get into the ceilings on every floor.
A big thanks for our VPN connection, as I managed to do a few hours work from home so I was able to spend some time with the family while setting things up remotely.