Monday, 11 February 2013

The leaning cabinet of the CH

Isn't it always the case, when you take over from someone they leave everything in a right mess?

I have spent hours updating the documentation on the wireless network and trying to bring it all together. In doing so I found a cable plan of an access point we had put in for staff in the Children's Hospital, but there was no record of it on the cab layout, hardware database or wireless database. So I went to investigate.

I found the access point, sat there quite happily, for possibly over a year, with no lights on... no power.

It turns out no PoE switch was ever installed to power the AP and it wasn't patched or set up on the system. I guess it is lucky no one has complained, but if they had we would have found the problem. If I hadn't have been backing up and digitising our records then I don't know how long it would have been sat there.

However, I don't think that was the most shocking thing I found. When venturing into the area where the cabinet is I found the cabinet was being held up by a piece of wire.


There were no screws in the bottom holding it in place.



Basically you touched it and it would move. The piece of wire was stopping it falling down or falling on top of you.

Why, for years, people have thought this was acceptable I don't know.

No comments: