Thursday, 19 March 2015

My Essential Chrome Extensions

Google Chrome has worked it's way into my daily routine of work and home. I was a big big fan of Firefox and couldn't see myself ditching the browser but now I work almost exclusively on Chrome. Here are some of the extensions that I have to have installed for my work-flow.

Adblock Plus - I don't click on ads anyway so it helps keep my browser window tidy but the main reason I use it is to block potentially malicious ads that could contain nasty little malware.

Clearly - Another add-on to keep my browser window clean and tidy. This extension from Evernote makes it easy to read text by removing the images and putting it on an easy-on-the-eye background of your choosing. You can also use it to print and clip to Evernote.

Evernote Web Clipper - Speaking of Evernote, the web clipper enables you to save parts of a web page to your notebooks (rather than printing the whole screen with Clearly).

Ghostery - Excellent extension for blocking trackers.

Save To Pocket - Essential bookmarking service that is cross-platform and can download items for reading when offline.

Feedly Mini - Feedly replaced Google Reader as my main go to for news and other RSS feeds. This extensions helps you quickly add and share content.

Pushbullet - Phone notifications on your computer that you can also respond to. For example, reply to a text message when you are busy working on your desktop. Also able to push content to your phone.

HTTPS Everywhere - Force websites to use HTTPS where possible.

Web of Trust - Make sure that link you are clicking or web site you are visiting is genuine and trustworthy.


Then below there are a few applications that I don't sync to home that are for work only:

Chrome Remote Desktop - Used to access my office desktop from android app.

PDF Mergy - I work a lot with building plans and this enables me to merge them together to send as one attachment rather than dozens.

PDF Split - Again for building plans, when I just want a single floor, for example, and the contractors have sent the whole lot as one I can split the pages.

Notable PDF - Annotate PDF's.

Lucidchart - Mainly I used it for accessing and editing Visio documents.

Autocad 360 - For building drawings again. This time working with DWG files.

Google Keep - Simple note taking to sync with phone. Include text, audio and pictures. Take a very quick note when I am out and about using the android widget and then do what I need to with it when I'm back in the office.

Trello - Great application for helping manage projects. Has been very useful on a number of projects we have had. Also I have the extension Cardcounter for Trello added to keep track of how many cards are in each table, or to-do list.

No comments: