Wednesday, 18 November 2015

Rethinking Google+

Google+ has split opinion and had its fair share of detractors, most notably around forcing Google+ accounts on its users and the Youtube comments saga. It did have a lot of good things going for it too though, most notably Photos, private location sharing and Hangouts, but it never became the force Facebook or Twitter were. Since Vic Gundotra  left the helm it seemed Google was giving Plus a back seat, focussing on some of the best parts and making their own apps out of them or rolling them into things like Maps. 

Google has since seemed to shift Plus from a social network to a place to share content with like-minded people, focussing on Communities and Collections making it, in my opinion, more of a Reddit or a Pintrest than a Facebook.

This focus has been taken further with a redesign that you can opt in to via the instructions here Dive into the new Google+


Update: The new layout wasn't appearing to me so I followed these instructions on android police and it worked: "You can try out the new Google+ now by going to Settings > Manage other apps & activity > Manage Google+ activity and clicking in the search bar at the top of the screen".

Friday, 6 November 2015

Surveys out the window

This post is not about waving a laptop out the window ;)

In our site we use AirMagnet Surveyor rather than Ekahau, I believe for convenience, as we have mostly Fluke kit for network troubleshooting (Aircheck, Etherscopes, Linkrunners and DTX testers).
We have updated our survey software from 8.6 to 8.7.4 and all our previous surveys no longer display correctly. The survey path and survey data no longer line up with the drawings. The drawings were almost all dwg files (with a few uploaded jpg files where dwg's were not available). The drawings were all measured and recalibrated before starting the survey. So that's 74 buildings that we are no longer able to use for reference :(
The response from the support team we contacted to look into it was "based on our analysis of your project, we believe the root cause is the AutoCAD DWG file process between v8.6 & v8.7". It doesn't look like the two are compatible.

It would have been nice to know this before we ran the update.